Friday, June 4, 2010

Bad Call

I can remember always being told “write what you know about.” Well in this case, what I know about is me- my experience recruiting, interviewing, hiring in this case. Please stick with me.
The situation up for discussion below, is prompted by the Blown Call that stole a perfect game form the Tiger’s Armando Galarraga. It seems most agree that the call was wrong, and the runner was out at first. Those same folks also think Armando showed the talent to earn the perfect game. That’s where consensus ends. Some say it should be corrected, while others say no (it’s past- “that’s life”). I’m in the camp that with an obvious error that was seen right away (not days or weeks later) the commissioner has the opportunity to right the wrong. This is a life changing decision. Look past the box what was done to what happened.
NOW ONTO THE PART ABOUT ME- I am (like many other Americans) seeking my next FT opportunity. I was once a hiring manager and had to pour over applications and determine who to interview and (ultimately) who to hire. My feeling was ‘can they do the job’ not necessarily ‘HAVE they done the job.’ Those would be brought in for an interview and sized up further (Can they fit in with the team? how will I manage this person? What will they add to the organization?) If they progressed forward, the job (and compensation) would be described further. Finally decisions would be made.
MY POINT (I AM getting there)—As part of my job search I have posted my resume on the job sites. Well, a recruiter emailed me a job description (and $) saying he saw my resume, and asked, if I was interested to send a current resume. I sent the SAME resume and expressed my interest in moving my matching experience to the field (giving multiple examples of said matches) He replied back- sorry you’re overqualified, I won’t submit you.
HUHHH?
I get (generally) “overqualified.” HOWEVER- This would be one step back from my prior position but in a DIFFERENT industry- I replied back again telling him I feel this step back as part of an industry transfer is EXPECTED by me, ESPECIALLY in this economy. His answer: The company only wants someone doing it- I’m just following orders.
Uh-huh. I have heard others tell similar stories about being “overqualified.” I wonder if some see the #s- 10% unemployed, and over 50% over a year out. When competition for jobs is so fierce, I am surprised any company would not see the reality and –at least- talk to talent they could add. Of course in this case, the recruiter ‘protected’ them from that.
Bad call.

No comments:

Post a Comment