Friday, June 25, 2010

Customer Service - Building Relationships and Business

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -Dwight Eisenhower
There is a phrase in business - "internal & external customers (clients)". I have been building these internal relationships before I had even heard the phrase. To me it just made sense. These folks (sometimes department managers) Have their part in the company's overall operation as much as mine. I treat them like I want them to treat me. I don't bark at them- I have always tried to make them understand MY side, and the impact of the situation. In many cases, I became the 'go-to' even if I had a senior manager overseeing a project. This was simply because I could get things done. I earned the respect of these 'internal customers' because I respected them and worked with them. I have worked along side their people quiet often to learn THEIR side, and procedures. This has shown me how they interpret what WE do, and likewise how we can communicate better.

Now that is not to say I don't hold them accountable. In one specific situation, I would push when need be. But it was done with KNOWLEDGE. The other Dept head was defending his employee (as a good manager will), but when I pointed out some facts from what I learned, he had to concede that I was more right than wrong. A fix would be put in place and we would move forward.

Call it leadership or call it teamwork- I call it good business and just plain common sense.
Looking forward to putting that back to work.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/thomas-drake/b/264/545

No comments:

Post a Comment