Monday, April 19, 2010

With Apologies to the Rolling Stones.

You can’t always get what you want.
Over the last week or so I’ve been reminded of this wisdom in more than one way. Is it frustrating? YOU BET! We have all had a disappointment of the kind that made us feel ‘cheated’ or ‘robbed’ I’m sure.
Some are obviously harder to get over than others but, there is normally little choice- Time passes and drags us with it. Now, I have no magic spell to ease that pain- (Boy do I wish I did!!), we all have to find our own way through it. Sometimes it feels like you’re trudging through molasses, sometimes it’s a sprint. While some of my recent experiences are more like the former, one over the weekend reminded me of another line from the same song “you get what you need.”
Over the weekend I made a choice based on not only ‘gut instinct’ but on principles. Some others made a choice swayed by what it would look like to others (I feel -knowing what they’ve told me prior). I am in no position to criticize or condemn, by ANY means. I just had to do what I felt was the right thing, for ME.
One more quote to sum up my decision (not musical, but literaryinstead this time): “to thine own self be true.” With thanks to Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment